2008/12/12

I obviously suck

Ok, so I have accomplished zero of what I planned. Well not zero, I did some of it, but... Even worse, I sold out and gave up on MythTV because getting the damned EPG in Germany is such a pain in the ass. It took me weeks to get it working, and I ended up just running it by hand every so often because it was so freaking unreliable. So I caved and bought into Deutsche Telekom's TV over IP solution (Windows CE 5.0 on a little media box). The quality was tolerable for a while, but it is in the crapper right now. I have a few days off next week, I plan on calling to see what can be done.

Sorry.

In better news, I just installed openSuSE 11.0 during a drive rescue. I tried Ubuntu 8.10 while I was at it. I had a drive fail, and I decided to buy two new ones (one for root and home - 160 GB, the other for storage - 500 GB) so I could recover whatever I found to new drives. I went with SATA. Ubuntu saw the one IDE drive connected to my motherboard. It didn't see either of my SATA's or my IDE on a PCI controller. That pretty much sums up my previous experience with Ubuntu. 25% useful, but overall: FAIL! To top that crappy experiment off, the old drives weren't apparently. I may have nice, new, fast S-ATA drives now, but I am out €120 that I needn't be. Grrrr!

So SuSE 11.0 works. I had issues with the newest NVIDIA driver. My 512MB card just short of locked up with 3D games (only used to test if the driver works). I rolled that back a version, and it is OK again (I think I am on 163). KDE4 is cool in concept. My 1.6 (overclocked to 1.9) GHz system can't handle it, though. I am running WindowMaker as my main desktop. It has been a while since I needed it, but it is good enough and crazy fast.

I will be installing openSuSE 11.1 when it comes out week after next. I hope it is more stable. I will work some more on not installing crap to make that happen. I was a little more lax with the 11.0 install because I knew it was only for a few weeks until the new version came out.

I will try to be less of a suck after this. I can't promise it, but we'll see.

Oh, one last thing. Check out TiddlyWiki (http://www.tiddlywiki.com). This shit is amazing. It is a single file encapsulated wiki written in JavaScript. It is pretty cool for personal management. Notes, ideas, personal projects and the like. It looks like I might be learning a little bit of a new language in the near future.

No comments: