2014/09/17

Reverting openwrt to stock firmware

I'm still battling with what I want to do with my extra router (Netgear WNDR4000). Openwrt was not quite what I was hoping, and I know I need to learn a little more about networking to get it to bridge connections like I want. So I decided to go back to dd-wrt to get it set up again and then have access to the resulting config files as a basis.
The migration didn't go as well/smoothly as I had hoped. I got the firmware replaced following these steps:

From http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_from_openwrt
Upgrade From Openwrt
I had a linksys WRT54GS version 2 router that I wanted to upgrade from openwrt to dd-wrt. I could not find any documentation on how to do this. So I created this page just in case anyone else needed to do this. Replace your firware image referenced below with the correct image for you router.
    1. secure shell or telnet into the router running openwrt
    2. cd /tmp
    3. wget http://internet_path_to_your_firmware
    4. mtd -r write your_firmware
This sort of bricked my router. It would boot enough to ping, but nothing else was accessible. I managed to use atftp to load the stock Netgear firmware, and that worked. To do that I performed the following steps:

1. Download correct firmware from your router vendor for your router.
2. Run the following command from a Linux command prompt:
atftp --option "mode octet" --option "timeout 180" --verbose --trace --put --local-file router_firmware 192.168.1.1
3. Let it sit 5 or 10 minutes
4. Reboot

Then I was able to use the standard interface to load the dd-wrt initial conversion .chk file. After that, I upgraded to the mega firmware image for my router.

No comments: